“The Car Network” is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
“The Car Network” may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 25/05/2018.
The Car Network (“we”/”us”)
52 Church Road, Bramshott, Hampshire, GU30 7SH
are committed to protecting and respecting any personal information you share with us.
This statement explains what types of information we collect from you, how it is used by us, how we share it with others, how you can manage the information we hold and how you can contact us.
The information we collect
We collect information about you when you engage with us either by telephone, our website, other digital platforms or our partners. Some of this information does not identify you personally, but provides us with information about how you use our services and engage with us (we use this information to improve our services and make them more useful to you). The information we collect includes some or all of the following:
- Your personal details including name, date of birth, address, employment and contact details
- Your banking and financial information where you may provide it (including income, expenditure and previous credit history)
- Information about your lifestyle and home ownership.
- Identifiers assigned to your computer or other devices, including your Internet Protocol ( IP ) address.
- Details of communications between us ( for example e mails or call recordings)
- Any other information which you may provide to us
How we use this information and the legal basis for processing
We will only process information that is necessary for the purpose for which it has been collected. The legal basis of processing will vary depending the type of service you have requested and we have listed some examples of our processing activities below;
- Administering your vehicle quotes and policies (as is necessary for performance of a contract between you and us and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- Carrying out anti-fraud and anti-money laundering checks and verifying your identity (as is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- Broking your finance agreement and any related services ( as is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- Sending you information about your end of contract obligations and how to renew your vehicle hire agreement.
- Communicating with you about your quotes and policies including responding to your enquiries (as is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- Undertaking market research and statistical analysis, including analyzing your use of our website. This allows us to develop new, or improve existing products and services ( as is necessary for our legitimate interests); and
- Fulfilling our obligations owed to a relevant regulator or authority ( as is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests).
- Internal record keeping.
We may use the information to improve our products and services.
We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
How do we share this information?
We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with third party suppliers who fulfil business activities for us. In these situations we will only share the information that is necessary for the third party to perform the processing activity is was provided for, such as;
- Third party service providers who support the operation of our business, such as IT and marketing suppliers, financial service providers, delivery companies, dealer groups third party insurance providers, fraud prevention agencies & associations ( as is necessary for compliance with our legal responsibilities and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- Regulators and law enforcement agencies, including the police, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other relevant authority who may have jurisdiction (as is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations).
How long do we keep your information for?
We will not hold your personal information for any longer than is necessary. If you are a customer or otherwise have a relationship with us we will hold personal information about you for a longer period than if we have obtained your details in connection with a prospective relationship. In any event, the retention period will be the statutory retention period unless there is a further legal or regulatory requirement to do so.
How can you manage the information we hold about you?
Under the data protection act you have certain rights in relation to the data we hold about you. Under GDPR these rights are extended and listed ;
- to obtain access to, and copies of, the personal information that we hold about you;
- to require that we cease processing your personal information if the processing is causing you damage or distress;
- to require us not to send you marketing communications;
- to require us to erase your personal information;
- to require us to restrict or object to our data processing activities;
- to receive from us the personal information we hold about you which you have provided to us, in a reasonable format specified by you, including for the purpose of you transmitting that personal information to another data controller; and
- to require us to correct the personal information we hold about you if it is incorrect.
Please note that these rights may be limited by data protection legislation, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you have a complaint regarding any aspect of how we handle your personal information, please write to us at the above address. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may write to the Information Commissioner’s Office at the following address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
You can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office using their online form: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email email@example.com or write to 52,Church Road, Bramshott, Liphook GU30 7SH .
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.